>Users:   login   |  register       > email     > people    

Air Conditioning for Inmates

Subscribe to Air Conditioning for Inmates 9 posts, 6 voices

Login to reply

Getty rf photo of cat and praying mantis Campi 227 posts

It has been hot these last few weeks even hitting over 100 in the living areas though it sure felt hotter. I simply told them to drink water and think about this next time they want to make a quick buck.

With the current presidential candidates lets all just write Joe in. Much better choice.

Remle riflepg irish assassin 286 posts

All I’ll say is what one of my DI’s told me. “Your all acting like its 110 degrees out here, can’t be no more than 105. So suck it up and soldier on!”

…….. one last thing, Joe for Prez !

Correction officer jamestown0509 313 posts

Well Commander maybe that’s because our legislators were forced by the State of NY to add cells to the jail at a cost of $20 million. Part of that was installing air conditioning in all new additions including inmate housing. Of course the rest of the linear jail gets to enjoy 120 degrees all day and night including the COs..

Male user commander 277 posts

When I worked at the Prison, it was usually between 90 and 100 degrees from June until mid September. They didn’t offer to buy me or none of my officers fans or ac.

We bought brand new fans for the linear section of the jail. Every block had a new fan but in less than a few weeks all of them were destroyed because the floor cleaners moved them from one side to another of the block, dropping them. As I said in my post the many years we worked the tiers with no air conditioning until 2010 certainly shows that we don’t coddle the inmates. The air circulation even with windows open is just about none on most hot days as most of you are aware. We had an inmate file a complaint with the state because his green shorts were not cleaned properly and another who wanted to sue the jail because his white shorts and t-shirts were yellow after washing. So glad I retired and away from the b/s.

Male user Canusxiii 116 posts

One,I second the motion “Sherriff Joe for President”.Two ,the inmates are allowed to buy plastic fans from the canteen.What more do they want,I used to said you make their living conditions comfortable,they wouldn’t want to live the prison…What’s next on the agenda"Gourmet dining"….

Riot helmet Mick 307 posts

Sherriff Joe for President.

Male user commander 277 posts

The only response I can give to that is the same response Sheriff Joe Arpaio gave MSNBC, the soldiers in the deserts are living in 120 degree heat. No one is worried about them getting heat stroke. Tell the Inmates to drink plenty of water from their cell sinks and get a parole. Live the straight and hard life and they can buy an air conditioner. There are a lot of people who are in financial straights that don’t have air.

On CNN this morning the legal experts are talking about a lawsuit filed in Texas against state prisons where the inmates claim the temperature is 120 degrees. They are demanding air conditioning in all prisons in Texas. See how far that goes in the court system. Interesting on our linear section of the jail (bars) on the top floor the COs are just as hot as the inmates, in fact probably more so because they wear polyester black shirts and pants. I can attest that it is so hot in the linear sections that you can still feel the heat in the walls and floors at 4 am. Now that we have two pods and the new section is air conditioned the inmates are begging to get transferred to a Pod during summer (and of course officers certainly volunteer for Pod duty).

* For speed and versatility, Corrections.com has been relaunched in opensource. Some older postings dates may be affected.

correctsource logo
Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of The Corrections Connection User Agreement
The Corrections Connection ©. Copyright 1996 - 2024 © . All Rights Reserved | 15 Mill Wharf Plaza Scituate Mass. 02066 (617) 471 4445 Fax: (617) 608 9015