>Users:   login   |  register       > email     > people    

Book about being a correctional officer

Subscribe to Book about being a correctional officer 3 posts, 3 voices

Login to reply

Male user Teja12345 1 post

Here we are providing ISO certifications please contact with us certvalue dot com

Female user arianapham01 3 posts

your opinion so good. I like it very much

Male user sertshark 1 post

Hello everyone. My name is Rob, and I spent 23 years in the California Dept of Corrections, where I spent a great deal of time as a lieutenant and I developed a very good reputation in the state as an instructor for tactics, firearms etc. Anyways, I am not here to post or brag about my background or to try to impress anyone with “what I’ve done” or “where I’ve been”, but if you or anyone you know is interested in a book about becoming a correctional officer, and the internal struggle we go through as we wrestle with our own self-identity, the book “Knuckle Dragger” (on Amazon), by me, Robert Sharkey would be a very good read. I have read numerous memoirs, including many by correctional officers, and the thing I noticed about many of those correctional officer memoirs was they seemed to go into a lot of detail on the blood/guts prison violence situations, but many lacked an open, heart-felt look at what we truly go through as correctional officers. This book is for anyone who as ever worked behind the walls and at some point questioned their identity as the job proceeded to change them. It is also for loved-ones and significant others of people who work in a prison, so that they might better understand the thankless nature of such a career and how it changes people. It is also for those who might be considering a career in corrections, because it outlines the TRUE difficulty of the job without using bravado or graphic scenes to do so. This book is about trying to make the best of a career, and seeking some type of meaning in it, even though you realize you work for a department that sees you, typically, as just another number. This is not portrayed in a negative, complaining or whining way, but more of an objective observation of the experience, because we all go through it in some degree or another.

I am not here to advertise or to “sell” this book. I am simply trying to share this with friends, brothers and sisters who work in this field. I have spent an entire career trying to help correctional officers, because I care a great deal about the profession. I am not making hardly any money on it, and in fact there is no way I will not even recoup the money I spent on editing alone. That is NOT why I wrote this. I simply wanted to share this with people, because I value the job of a correctional officer, and I know first-hand how thankless the job is. I know what it is like to give everything you have to it, because you want it to mean something. I also know how it changes the way you see the world. I think this book could help current, future, and even retired correctional officers, because you will know that you are not alone. It is a very quick read (150) pages, but it is all in there – I cover everything. If you read it, you will know what I mean. Most people are telling me they read it in one sitting because it is hard to put down. They are also telling me how good it feels to read a book that speaks to the same struggle they face every single day. Right now, it as been alternating in and out of the #1 new law enforcement biography spot (for Kindle) on Amazon. I’m sure that will not last long, but to me it shows how correctional officers, no matter where it is you work, enjoy knowing others understand the struggles they face.

Peace to all, and stay strong.
Rob

* For speed and versatility, Corrections.com has been relaunched in opensource. Some older postings dates may be affected.

correctsource logo
Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of The Corrections Connection User Agreement
The Corrections Connection ©. Copyright 1996 - 2024 © . All Rights Reserved | 15 Mill Wharf Plaza Scituate Mass. 02066 (617) 471 4445 Fax: (617) 608 9015