>Users:   login   |  register       > email     > people    

Privatization

Subscribe to Privatization 6 posts, 3 voices

Login to reply

Male user Squeeze 70 posts

Back in 04 the difference was on the pay: the private companies paid more hourly and the benefits were in the form of stock in their respective companies as far as pension/retirement. Where they got themselves in trouble was the implied immunity from legal claims as I believe the state of Tennessee Supreme court ruled the private companies did not have qualified immunity.

Getty rf photo of cat and praying mantis Campi 227 posts

Well as long as they can make money off it politicians will gladly lend a ear. Wished that laws like that would be passed on the state or federal level. If not that private companies would take care of their employees on the front lines. The state dose to a greater degree than the private sector which is usually backwards. State jobs have benefits with lesser pay while the private jobs pay more with less benefits.

Nebraska passed a statute in 1997 preventing the privatization or contracting of private management companies for correctional facilities at the municipal and county levels. However they reserved the possibility of a state facility to be contracted out to private management. I wrote my thesis in 2004 on privatization of county jails, it didn’t look good for the private companies.

Nebraska passed a statute in 1997 preventing the privatization or contracting of private management companies for correctional facilities at the municipal and county levels. However they reserved the possibility of a state facility to be contracted out to private management. I wrote my thesis in 2004 on privatization of county jails, it didn’t look good for the private companies.

Remle riflepg irish assassin 286 posts

The real but sad truth is it will be a member of the frontline staff who gets hurt or worse before those “all knowing” ones in charge begin to understand how bad of an idea this really is. Even then don’t expect them to admit to any mistakes or wrong doing on the administration side.

I’ve been around most of the private food service workers here and honestly I feel bad for most of them. Imagine if you had to restrain a a combative inmate and your supervisor hands you a bread tie… Make do with what you have is the directions they’re given. Anything ran “for profit” in a correctional setting is and always will be a bad idea. Corperate greed takes over every time.

Getty rf photo of cat and praying mantis Campi 227 posts

Well Privatization is a hot button at the moment so maybe we should all chime in. The current issue in the state of Ohio is the food service. Maggots are a good source of protein but even when Kellogg is adding it to their Special K I am sure that the private food service wasn’t looking for a cheap way to jump on the band wagon. I know that private services boast about how they can save money and in some cases they truly can. Though they have worked the numbers and show a profit for themselves the amount of money the States have saved going private hardly seem worth the headaches. At a mere 5% annual savings a private prison is running and turning a profit. They fail to mention that they are constantly under staffed because local store chains pay close to the same wages stocking shelves or checking out customers. They have contraband issues that are going unreported about. Talking to some of the local employees the inmates might as well be ordering contraband mail order as abundant and easily obtainable it is. These same employees are mandated regularly this is the only way to make a decent living at their current pay. Some of the more knuckle headed inmates are trying to move there because the rumors are that inmates have basically free range of the prison. This is privatization at its best. The inmates are let run wild while tired and stressed staff could not care less but as long as the profit is coming in the admins get a at ‘a boy from the cooperate heads. In the state facilities underpaid workers watch inmates put out food that is poorly made and smaller portioned that can barely pass as food. Back when the state ran food services it wasn’t moms cooking but it not only was enough to keep the inmates happy it was borderline healthy. The rubbish that is coming out has the inmate population unhappy and to be honest I worry about them getting to the point of a sit in/riot just to get a decent meal. If they keep short serving and subbing the decent meals on the menu for cheaper crap it will get to that point. I fail to see how privatization is worth the price but then again I am not a politician who is getting kick backs and campaign contributions from the companies. The politicians pushing these reforms for profit not only for themselves or their buddies need to be held accountable as well as the private companies who are simply abusing workers for profit.

* For speed and versatility, Corrections.com has been relaunched in opensource. Some older postings dates may be affected.

correctsource logo
Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of The Corrections Connection User Agreement
The Corrections Connection ©. Copyright 1996 - 2024 © . All Rights Reserved | 15 Mill Wharf Plaza Scituate Mass. 02066 (617) 471 4445 Fax: (617) 608 9015