>Users:   login   |  register       > email     > people    

Use of Chemical Agents

Subscribe to Use of Chemical Agents 62 posts, 8 voices

Login to reply

Getty rf photo of cat and praying mantis Campi 227 posts

On the Ohio Use of Force policy in the UOF continuum chemical agents is a lower use of force then putting your hands on an inmate. I do not see why they wouldn’t arm every officer with it. I you have some brain donor misusing it then take their can and certification away. There would be less injuries on both staff and inmate sides if OC was standard issue.

Male user commander 277 posts

I only like mild sauce. Guess I am a wuss. LOL.

Correction officer jamestown0509 313 posts

I know a fellow CO who loves hot, spicy ribs. In fact one time he bought the spiciest ribs that you can buy then put “instant death” sauce on it. I was watching while he was eating the ribs-you could see the sweat coming off his brow…wow…

Might be a popular combo in New Orleans. Cajuns love hot food. Probably wouldn’t bother Troy Landry or his sons or even Jay Paul or R.J….LOL

Remle riflepg irish assassin 286 posts

If we still had that Def-tech OC that wouldn’t be so bad. Super spicey McRib with a cajun orange barbecue sauce. Truth be told I had to test the edible claim and I will say, if you want some chilli to make a grown man cry that stuff will do it. A few drops in a normal size bowl had me reaching for the milk and saltines before I could finish it. I’d hate to think what the FOX would do… Ugh that could border on cruel and unusual use of foodstuffs.

McRib my taste alittle better with alittle OC on it Irish. Bet you never thought of that.

Remle riflepg irish assassin 286 posts

Oooohhh… I miss my OC like I miss McRib sandwiches every time they disappear. One of the things I really liked about working at SOCF was pretty close to “EVERYONE” had OC. It’s an awesome tool to have to help gain compliance with uncooperative inmates. Makes the officers job safer and easier too. Course the hug a thug administration I work for now doesn’t believe that it should be used or even carried by line staff. I hate to say it but once a staff member gets assaulted its nothing more than a giant finger pointing fire drill trying to say someone is at fault. My mind is and always will be made up, Gimmie back my McRib and my OC.

Exactly. While in Chemical Munitions Instructor training I was sprayed with Phase-4. Which was supposed to be the meanest OC on the market at that time. It doesn’t hold a candle to FOX. I don’t miss working in the prison, just my commrades. I don’t miss the smell of OC or the intense burning of the eyes. I do miss the look on the inmates face when you unholster a MK-9 fogger or you run into a disturbance in the Gym carrying a MK-46. The fight just leaves the poor little fellas.

Correction officer jamestown0509 313 posts

Oh I hate “FOX OC” Nothing like coming off the elevator or on the tier being exposed to “Fox OC” starting to cough, spit and not being able to catch your breath…we call pepper spray “the pause that refreshes.”

At my former prison, OC carry is optional for all staff with direct contact with inmates. Supervisors are required to carry as they are first responders. They made being contaminated with OC as a part of training, optional. I disagreed with that. I was a Chemical Munitions instructor for over 5 years. When I would certify someone to carry OC (Certified over 300 security staff), I would give them a level 1 contamination. A direct burst to both eyes. I then would have them pick up a set of keys that I had dropped, punch a bag for 30 seconds, tell me their name and location and walk to the restroom to begin decontamination procedures. I explained to all staff that until they had been sprayed, they had no idea how they would react if an Inmate got someones spray and sprayed them. This was done to instill confidence and respect for the power of the spray. We used FOX 5 million Scoville Heat Units with a 1.67% capsicinoids. Very powerful stuff. Majority of all inmates do not want sprayed a second time. It brings the girl out of anyone I have seen sprayed with it.

Untitled Slim 57 posts

In Ca. staff are required to carry OC Pepper spray. It is considered one of many options of force, but the unspoken expectation is that OC will be the first option of force used.

Male user zero765 1 post

What is your departments view of it? are you forced to carry it or is it optional?

* For speed and versatility, Corrections.com has been relaunched in opensource. Some older postings dates may be affected.

correctsource logo
Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of The Corrections Connection User Agreement
The Corrections Connection ©. Copyright 1996 - 2024 © . All Rights Reserved | 15 Mill Wharf Plaza Scituate Mass. 02066 (617) 471 4445 Fax: (617) 608 9015